Wednesday, July 14, 2010

DC First.........................






Hey guys, Ok, I have tried to type this blog like 5 times now and really have no idea where to even begin. I feel overwhelmed by so much that is happening and so much
to tell that I am hesitant to even start, but I'm going to attempt to give it a shot. Forgive me on the front end, I am certain to ramble and change topics like never
before. I am also going to be in DC now for like 8 hours so I will attempt to keep it at a doable length. I am so thankful for this trip for a million reasons. I have
loved the thought of getting away and getting my mind OFF of me. I love the thought of being around people that are passionately in love with Christ. I love the
thought of my bag being the small carry on and the two huge bags being full of supplies for the orphanages. That is how our leader requested us to
pack and I can't tell you how huge that was for her set that as the norm. I laughed so hard at myself preparing for the trip. My flesh desired new plush cotton pants
from Gap to travel in (I am not joking, that thought crossed my mind), I had to start making space cuts and my hair product was one (and I felt sacrificial) and then finally, I made certain to
bleach my teeth last night because you know that is going to be important, NOT. Good gracious I have such a long way to go. I am also beyond thrilled because our leader's
husband brought us all a copy of "Radical" by David Platt so I will get the special (and rare) treat of reading an entire book in total peace and that will most certainly
be a Jesus blessing. So where to begin..............

1. My man, I don't think I have ever been so in love with my man. We had a glorious family date night last night which was a HUGE blessing for us. I will be the first to
say we haven't always made the most of our options on a tight budget, but it was so much fun last night to have a little wiggle room and all go out and make a memory.
We took Cross to go see Toy Story 3. He did great, we loved it, and we smiled nonstop for an hour watching his reaction to the whole experience. Then we went to Old
Chicago for Pizza. Cross' dinner consisted of a pack of Roll O's, 3 bites of pizza and two Cherry Lemonades. That made me laugh, thinking of all my hard work as a mom
making homemade baby food.

Ok, where was I, oh Yes, my man. HE IS SO GODLY. I just want to say that he has supported me and shown me love and encouraged me, and it has meant the absolute world to me.
I am so thankful God gave me that man. Also, that sweet little boy I get to call son, is more adorable than I can bare. I am going to attempt to post family pictures
as well. Although they have nothing to do with Africa necessarily, they mean everything to me.

2. Trips like this put all of life into perspective. I have heard negative comments about short term mission trips and the "value" they have to the cities visited, but I am certain
that me getting over myself will hold value to someone, somewhere along the way. I know it will most certainly make me more like Christ. I also thought it was so cool
that J and a dear friend prayed the same prayer over me, that I would experience God's love for ME like never before. I have thought of this trip as me showing God's
love, but never dreamed that He would plan to lavish me with His, what an honor. I will say that I most certainly woke this a.m. with the certainty of my need for
His grace. I hit that floor with my face as if there were no other early options and I thought how beneficial it would be for me to realize my need for that
same grace daily just to raise my son or to be content. Hopefully I will learn.

3. I am also overwhelmed by His provision. Cross is perfectly squared away. Every single need we have had has been met, the trip, the shots, even the spending money. He
truly foots the bill for His will. I am also beyond honored that you guys would see fit to join me on this journey.

I think more and more I am seeing my need for my heart
to break. I think of the words to a song "break my heart for what breaks Yours". Uh yeah! I need that. My heart breaks now more so when I don't get MY way. I also
never want to ignore the true fact that tons and tons of babies really don't have a mama. I don't want to ignore the fact that the world is bigger than Clarksville, TN.
And most of all, I need to wrestle with the question of "Am I really about God's plan or more about my own?" Those of you that may not know me well may think I am being
a bit harsh on myself, but trust me, I know my heart. I began this walk in 2003 wanting His will and His alone, but lately I have so much more preferred that He
grant me mine. He has not complied (graciously) and I want to start seeking again. I want to be RADICAL but the pull of this stupid world, even the comfortable
Christian world is harsh. If you are not struggling with this issue, by all means, don't take on any guilt, but if you have been convicted in the same way you can probably
relate. Even "good" things can quickly become idols. I just cashed in my horrific partying self for a moral 2.5 kids with a cute house and cute dog. But when the cute
house and the other 1.5 children weren't coming on the scene I was down right ticked. Why wasn't God blessing me? Why? WHY? Because I never even cared or bothered
to ask just what He would have me do (to a degree) with my life past marrying J. I just decided I would start telling Him.

So, that's where I am as I enter this trip. Beyond humbled, beyond in need of His grace and provision, and in crooked need of a life realignment. I love you guys!
I can't wait to update you along the way. Our travel is an all day layover in DC, followed by a 14 hour flight into Addis, the capital of Ethiopia, and then dinner and
a good night's sleep. We won't actually begin any visits until Friday morning (which will be midnightish Thur/Fri for you) so I will update after that. I love love our team.
They are all so precious. All walks and stages of life, all called by God to this trip. Every one's God story to this journey is so incredibly personal. We have several
others meeting us throughout the day and then we will all head out tonight around 8:30ish. My life is about to change and I know it. That is gloriously exciting, I don't
care what your personality is like. We were made in God's image, made for bigger and better, we are just so often deceived about the avenue to that fact. It is more
blessed to give than it is to receive. I pray I literally live that out, for many more than 10 days. So this is Kelly Bullock signing off. I am on my way to Ethiopia
dear friends, please, please come with me!

Kelly

3 comments:

  1. so excited for you and maybe even a little jealous wishing i was going too! can't wait to hear what God does!! CC

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying for you, the team and all the children you will meet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. praying for you, sweet sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete